BUFORD LANDFILL REMEDIATION
After over two decades of environmental consulting, Willmer continues to provide environmental engineering services, including groundwater sampling and methane gas monitoring, for the City of Buford.
The now inactive Peachtree Industrial Boulevard/McEver Road Landfill was formerly operated as an unlined trench municipal solid waste disposal facility from 1961 to 1986. The entire facility occupies 53.75 acres and the filled area encompasses approximately 10 acres. In 1997, the Georgia EPD notified the city that an environmental site assessment must be performed for the landfill in accordance with new EPD landfill requirements. An initial assessment was completed by a major national firm. Willmer was contracted to perform a new site characterization study to identify the subsurface conditions and the nature and extent of groundwater impacts. The study was accepted by Georgia EPD and Willmer proceeded with installation of shallow and deep groundwater monitoring wells as well as a methane gas monitoring network of wells. Based on the constituent concentrations and their distribution, Willmer assessed the feasibility of natural attenuation of contaminants as a remediation strategy, and EPD agreed to this methodology to achieve site cleanup standards by the closure period ending in 2027.
Environmental consulting services by Willmer completed to date have included:
- Initial subsurface and geologic site characterization
- Geophysical survey to define the landfill boundary
- Design and installation of the groundwater and methane gas monitoring networks
- Investigation of the landfill cover integrity and recommendations for improvements
- Semi-annual Appendix I/II ground water sampling/analysis/reporting for metals and chlorinated solvents and quarterly methane gas monitoring reports
- Monitoring the natural attenuation of chlorinated solvent plumes in the groundwater
- Annual Assessment of Corrective Measures report
- Client liaison with the Georgia EPD Solid Waste Division
- Annual preparation of qualified compliance costs for the owner to submit for reimbursement from the Georgia EPD Hazardous Waste Trust Fund account.
Gwinnett County, Georgia
Environmental Risk Assessment